How Often Should You Service Your AC?
Randall Plumbing & Heating Ltd. provides air conditioning (AC) repair for both residential and commercial properties throughout Winnipeg and the surrounding areas including 24/7 emergency repairs. With our increasingly warmer summers over last few years, many of our neighbors are asking the same question - how often should I service my air conditioner?
Even if you don’t suspect any problems with your air conditioning unit, HVAC experts suggest it’s a good idea to have it inspected, serviced, and cleaned once a year to ensure it operates at peak energy efficiency, ideally in the spring, so it’s ready to cool your house during the summer months when you need it most.
Many heating and cooling companies, including Randall Plumbing & Heating Ltd., offer cost-effective, preventive maintenance services that include cleaning and servicing your HVAC unit and replace your air filter. There are a number of benefits to regular air conditioner maintenance and the advantages of a yearly tune-up including:
- Longer AC lifespan - an air conditioner’s average lifespan is from 10 to 20 years, but some can last up to 30 years, depending on how well it’s maintained.
- Lower utility bills - serviced AC systems perform more efficiently, so you spend less on electricity.
- Peace of mind – you’ll know your cooling system is in good working order when you want and need it. Parts can be replaced before they wear out and damage your equipment.
- Fewer repair bills - any condition that could potentially cause a breakdown can be caught early and corrected by your service technician.
- Greater indoor comfort – when well maintained, you have comfort at your fingertips.
In between your annual Randall Plumbing & Heating Ltd. maintenance visits, here are some things you can do to keep your AC running smoothly:
- Periodically inspect the outdoor unit for damage, and keep the area around the unit free of dirt, debris, weeds, foliage, leaves and twigs.
- Make sure indoor air vents are free of lint, dust, obstructions, hair, and pet dander.
- Turn up the thermostat when you’re not home or on vacation. This will lessen the load on your system, it will last longer, and save you money.
- Replace air filters every month or according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
- Finally, if you notice weird noises, water leaks, uneven cooling, air temperature that doesn’t match the thermostat or rising utility bills, these are indications of problems that should be checked by an HVAC professional from Randall Plumbing & Heating Ltd.
Since 1905, Randall Plumbing & Heating Ltd. has been Winnipeg’s refrigeration,plumbing, heating, and air conditioning services experts with a well-equipped service fleet to meet the needs of commercial, residential, light industrial, and institutional clients, as well as those in the pharmaceutical industry. Call us today if you think your air conditioning unit needs repairs or maintenance before the summer heats up your home. We look forward to serving you in the near future.